South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kit advice for a newbie

+8
crm250dude
Gareth Gates
mizzed
curl666
shocker
Taffy300
mufynman
SherrieW
12 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Kit advice for a newbie Empty Kit advice for a newbie

Post by SherrieW Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:00 am

Hi, I'm new to off roading so need to buy appropriate kit. I have bought a CRF250 (road legal) and want to do green lanes and some moto x tracks. I know what I need for moto x but what do you wear for enduro? I have loads of road/track gear but that feels like it will be too bulky for off road riding. Any shop recommendation would be great too, I'm based in Tredegar.
SherrieW
SherrieW

Back to top Go down

Kit advice for a newbie Empty Re: Kit advice for a newbie

Post by mufynman Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:26 am

You can spend a bloody fortune on gear , so maybe dont go out and buy the best bling until you know youre going to like offroading . Everyones got their personal favourite boots etc , but you generally get what you pay for . Apart from boots and helmet , some dont wear much else other than jacket & trousers ( light and waterproof if possible ) , but most wear a body armour vest ( £50-60) and some knee guards . KTM Hydrotech are a great trouser for winter , and then whatever jacket you fancy , lots of us have a light layer then a Sports direct cycle jacket ( £20 - keeps some rain and wind out ) . Rucksack is essential ( Kriega range are great , with a hydropack , R25 is a good size keep a few bits and bobs in there too ). Airoh Aviator helmets are the lightest best helmet , but cost a lot , so its down to how deep your pockets are . But to be honest you can go out in any old shit and have a laugh Razz
mufynman
mufynman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy300 Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:59 am

As Mufynman says: to buy the best costs millions, The KTM hydrotech trousers are great I think & very hard wearing (£120), Buy decent boots & helmet though (even though I always wear my cheapy viper helmet), with buying an expensive Airoh Aviator helmet at £340 makes it too nice to wear, I just cant bring myself to wear it, so when buying stuff to start off with, only buy what your willing to wreck or not care about, Gloves... neoprene progrip are great gloves but wulf do a cheaper version, Body armour depends on what your willing to spend, I bought the new Leatt 5.5 but its downfall is that its very heavy, Waterproofs.... Army Goretex is a favourite for many & not very expensive, Rucksack with hydropack is a must but bare in mind the bigger you get the more shit you fill it with, Kriega range (now that I have I agree) is great kit but I'd say no bigger than R20, knee pads are a must & if you got the coin I'd go for decent braces (EVS WEb or Pod K700 but not much change from £400+ a pair) but a ride out with this lot in just pants & daps would still be a good ride (not in front of Muffy though).
Taffy300
Taffy300

Back to top Go down

Post by shocker Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:42 am

I started (admittedly a very, very long time ago Embarassed ) out in steel toecap wellies,  farmers plastic leggings and an old Barbour coat that cost 6 quid second hand!
Now wear the best part of a grands worth of Sidi, Klim and Shoei gear, but still ride exactly the same stuff and get just as wet etc - but do it all slower on a faster bike now scratch

As said decent boots and helmet essential, then whatever you like depending on how fashionable and rich you are and how dry you expect to stay!

Ps. Just don't take any clothing or style tips from a bloke on here called Gareth Gates Shocked
shocker
shocker

Back to top Go down

Post by curl666 Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:06 am

I usually wear Mx trousers and top through the summer months, if it's colder I have a water proof pair of skiing trousers.

Rucksack with waterpack, few tools and bit of food, small waterproof jacket and spare gloves.

Bodyarmour vest and kneepads.

Helmet, use to ride with a dual sport style spada with flip up visor. But recently switched to a mx style with googles.

Boots I have fox comp5. They are good, but quite heavy.

curl666

Back to top Go down

Post by mizzed Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 am

There's only one essential bit of kit: GoPro or equivalent, especially when out with crm250dude, as the footage you get with him is absolute gold!
mizzed
mizzed

Back to top Go down

Post by mizzed Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 am

On the clothing, just get whatevers comfortable really, if it rains you'll eventually get wet no mater what you wear. Personally I find the KTM Hydroteq stuff has been the best, even when soaked through it keeps you warm.
mizzed
mizzed

Back to top Go down

Post by SherrieW Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:49 am

Think I'll get some base moto x gear and waterproof overs for now. I have base layers that I use with road kit so hopefully that will get m through the next few months and can decide if I should invest in more fancy pants stuff Smile
SherrieW
SherrieW

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Gates Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:19 pm

dont listen to shocker ! pink is what most of the boys wear ! sometimes muffyman wears tiedye moto x shirts ! lol!
Gareth Gates
Gareth Gates

Back to top Go down

Post by crm250dude Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:09 pm

My first ride I had jeans, with waterproofs over them, hiking boots with gators and a leather jacket with padding ... I sweat my nuts off

I would say most important are boots, when the bike falls on your legs you need protection
knee pads of some sort and if not body Armour at least elbow pads

just be ready to hit the floor sometimes, and it surprising how hot you get out there

crm250dude
crm250dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next