South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems starting bike

+3
JTM525
steve
jenkinR
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Problems starting bike Empty Problems starting bike

Post by jenkinR Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Guys,

Bike is pretty much back together now ready for tomorrow.. only thing is I'm having problems starting it!!

The battery was dead.. but the bike starts on the button first time everytime on jump leads from the car..
So I can charge the battery no problem...

But the real issue is it now seems impossible to kick start Sad

The only things I've done that could have messed with the engine are:
-jet wash/deep clean
-oil change

Any help would be really apreachiated as my mechanical knowledge is definitely poor..
+I can't ride out tomorrow on a crap battery if the second it goes dead (which will be quickly) I can't kick start it!! Sad

jenkinR

Back to top Go down

Problems starting bike Empty Re: Problems starting bike

Post by steve Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:54 pm

What bike is it?
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by jenkinR Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Ktm EXCF 250 2009

jenkinR

Back to top Go down

Post by JTM525 Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Does it run ok, not spluttering or anything?
Mine was a pig to kick last month, the plug cap was cracked and letting water get in so it would cut out, then you could just about start on the electric but would not kick at all
JTM525
JTM525

Back to top Go down

Post by jenkinR Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:18 pm

The only thing that sounds different to what I'm used to is a kind of constant clicking noise which I think is coming out the air box..
(But then I've never
really run it without the air box cover)

The only thing I can think of is that water got past the jet wash air box cover into the carb..

Things I've read online suggest a compression issue.. but I don't really know the difference between kick starting and button starting? Would compression only affect the kick start?
As I would assume if it was compression it wouldn't start at all?!

jenkinR

Back to top Go down

Post by JTM525 Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:25 pm

jenkinR wrote:The only thing that sounds different to what I'm used to is a kind of constant clicking noise which I think is coming out the air box..
(But then I've never
really run it without the air box cover)

The only thing I can think of is that water got past the jet wash air box cover into the carb..

Things I've read online suggest a compression issue.. but I don't really know the difference between kick starting and button starting? Would compression only affect the kick start?
As I would assume if it was compression it wouldn't start at all?!
They are a bit noisier with the air box lid off
If it was all running ok before then it's probably just water related and will sort itself out once the bike warms up.
If it was a compression issue it would start on the electric but would wind over and over for a bit until it did and it would probably be burning oil,does it feel like it has good compression on the kick start?
JTM525
JTM525

Back to top Go down

Post by jenkinR Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:35 pm

It winds over on electric until I give it a tiny bit of gas then it starts up straight away no problem..

Compression wise.. Ive got to be honest I don't know the difference between the sensation of good and bad compression!

+ I'd take it out now and see how it reacts but it's pitch black and the headlight is useless!!

jenkinR

Back to top Go down

Post by crm250dude Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 pm

sounds like HT lead / spark plug problems - a tiny dribble of water in that area can be a nightmare ....
We were out with cricket just before Christmas - he had carb probs and it started backfiring, he stripped his carb - drained it and all sorts .... only for someone to notice a slight crack in the HT lead - put some insulation tape around it and was good all day

crm250dude
crm250dude

Back to top Go down

Post by JTM525 Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:44 pm

jenkinR wrote:It winds over on electric until I give it a tiny bit of gas then it starts up straight away no problem..

Compression wise.. Ive got to be honest I don't know the difference between the sensation of good and bad compression!

+ I'd take it out now and see how it reacts but it's pitch black and the headlight is useless!!
Ah come along tomorrow it'll be reet! Very Happy
JTM525
JTM525

Back to top Go down

Post by JTM525 Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:45 pm

crm250dude wrote:sounds like HT lead / spark plug problems - a tiny dribble of water in that area can be a nightmare ....
We were out with cricket just before Christmas - he had carb probs and it started backfiring, he stripped his carb - drained it and all sorts .... only for someone to notice a slight crack in the HT lead - put some insulation tape around it and was good all day

Same thing happened to me but with the plug cap, perfect now even in 4 ft of water affraid lol!
JTM525
JTM525

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next