South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fork seals on mot

+5
steve
mizzed
mufynman
Taffy300
Oojufink
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fork seals on mot Empty Fork seals on mot

Post by Oojufink Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Was chatting to a mate about putting an mot on my ktm 300. He said it won't pass as the seals are gone as there is some slight oil rings on the stanchions. It got me to thinking if I literally wiped them clean just before I take into the mot station how could they tell the seals were seeping slightly?
I'm new to this having a bike malarkey so please forgive my ignorance in the asking of the question!
Is changing the seals a job I could do or is it definitely a mechanics job? What' should the cost roughly be for a bike mechanic to replace them?

Thanks for your help guys Smile

Oojufink

Back to top Go down

Fork seals on mot Empty Re: Fork seals on mot

Post by Taffy300 Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 am

The usual thing, its an easy enough job (if you know what your doing), Im pretty sure that fork seals are an advisary note on an MOT, But if you were doing the MOT to keep it you may aswell get the seals done anyway, Ring Dene (Two Wheel Engineering) (01656 653896), hope this helps.
Taffy300
Taffy300

Back to top Go down

Post by mufynman Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:00 am

Maybe worth trying one of those fork seal scraper tools , on Ebay about £7 , might just be a bit of shit needs cleaning out , stopped mine seeping . Others use a bit of film negative , some on here old enough to know what that is ha ha
mufynman
mufynman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy300 Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

mufynman wrote:Maybe worth trying one of those fork seal  scraper tools , on Ebay about £7 , might just be a bit of shit needs cleaning out , stopped mine seeping . Others use a bit of film negative , some on here old enough to know what that is ha ha

I would also agree with Mufynman, for the sake of a few quid try a scraper tool, I think its called ''fork/Seal Doctor'' ?), at least you wont have to remove the forks then,,,, Rob, What's a film negative ? lol!
Taffy300
Taffy300

Back to top Go down

Post by mizzed Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am

Are any special tools needed for changing seals on ktm standard front forks?
mizzed
mizzed

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:33 pm

If its very light and depending on the tester he,l give an advisory saying fork seals slight misting.
If there pissing out its a fail as the oil will run down the leg and could contaminate the disc.
I bought a bike once with a new mot and the seals popped on the first ride.
When I took the dust seal out the twat had rolled up bog roll around the leg under seal!
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffy300 Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:47 pm

I know thats naughty Steve, but it is funny, I had a mini when I was 17, it went in for MOT welding & when I got it back I thought i'd take a look, It had a fooking Frey Bentos pie tin welded in the hole, the necky fuckers hadnt even washed it out, I wondered why my little car smelt of cooked meat !!
Taffy300
Taffy300

Back to top Go down

Post by mufynman Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Cooked meat , must have been an old banger :16:
My first car came from an old couple , probably why it always whiffed of piss and biscuits
mufynman
mufynman

Back to top Go down

Post by x.b.b. Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Oojufink, slip a feeler gauge under the seal and move it around the fork leg with the blade at an angle.

x.b.b.

Back to top Go down

Post by jams Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 pm

x.b.b. wrote:Oojufink, slip a feeler gauge under the seal and move it around the fork leg with the blade at an angle.

+1 or cut out the shape of one of those fork seal scrapers out of a fizzy drink bottle. Works a treat
jams
jams

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next