South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering head Bearings

3 posters

Go down

Steering head Bearings Empty Steering head Bearings

Post by HondaMicky Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Having never done it before ive just taken the steering head apart on my trials bike as they have needed to be
replaced for a long time that was no problem but i cant see how to get the
bottom bearing off the shaft. Any ideas fellow Trail Riders  Sad  Shocked

HondaMicky

Back to top Go down

Steering head Bearings Empty Re: Steering head Bearings

Post by steve Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:01 pm

If it was like the last one i changed it was a right bastard to get off, Had to grind it off in the end and beat it about with a hammer and chisel.
Careful not to damage anything else through.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopes Dad Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah like Steve said, you need a dremel to cut off the steering stem bearing, or some heat like a paint stripper gun.

For the outers, the ones in the frame, you can tap them out with a long piece of key steel then you can use a short piece of scaffold pole to knock the other one out.

Get a load of good quality waterproof grease on the new ones too. And put a bit of grease on the frame before you knock the new ones in, will help them go in better
Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:35 pm

What i've done in the past after changing them is drill a hole in the headstock of the frame and fit a grease nipple then fill the whole head stock with grease.
Every now and again then pump a bit more grease in until you see it push out.
Helps keep the water out of the bearings, Plus if you have a bike with a steering lock on the headstock that you don't use fill it with a bit of silicon,
Its suprising over time how much water can get in through the lock if you're using a pressure washer a lot.

This depends on the bike you have mind for example its no good doing it on a alloy framed yz or was it the wr  scratch   Unless you want to fill the entire frame with grease, Don't ask me how i know this  lol!
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by HondaMicky Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Cheers Steve and Hopes Dad thats very helpful thanks.Ill heat it up first try that if it dont work ill use the the Grinder Ive just bought to split my new chains as i nearly nackered a £50 chain with a splitter. Ive got a piece pipe i use for wheel bearings that should get the outers out. so ill have a go tomorrow being carefull.I like that idea of a grease nipple Steve i can borrow a tap from work, its a metal Sherco 2004 frame so shouldnt be to hard. It pays to get involved in a forum thanks again.  :bounce:  Very Happy

HondaMicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopes Dad Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:29 am

steve wrote:

This depends on the bike you have mind for example its no good doing it on a alloy framed yz or was it the wr  scratch   Unless you want to fill the entire frame with grease, Don't ask me how i know this  lol!

Did you get to the 15th tube of grease and begin to wonder where it was all going?  lol! 
Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:25 pm

Not quite 15  lol! 
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content