South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley.

+11
Gareth Gates
sheepshagger
HondaMicky
phil990
steve
Mogs
geraint
Hopes Dad
shocker
Robert_G
Timmmaaay!
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley. Empty Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley.

Post by Timmmaaay! Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Alright lads (and lasses?)

I'm from the Ebbw area and I'm interested in joining the off road / enduro community and taking full advantage of Wales' green lanes, but firstly I need to buy a suitable bike.

I currently have a road bike, which I'd like to p/x for a dual sport bike, or a road legal enduro bike that doesn't need fiddling with after every 30 seconds of use. I'm struggling to find local dealers, so any suggestions on this would be very welcome? So far I've been to Marsh MX in Merthyr.

I have about a 4 mile daily commute to work so I'm hoping to use the bike for this, as well as green lanes. I've done some research and the DRZ400 repeatedly gets mentioned as a noble steed, but I'm after some alternative and reliable suggestions?

Lastly, I'd like to roll out with some charitable people who don't mind taking a complete newbie along with them. I promise to provide plenty of "Epic Fail" lol! moments in return affraid

Cheers.

Chris aka TIMMMAAAY!!!
Timmmaaay!
Timmmaaay!

Back to top Go down

Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley. Empty Re: Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley.

Post by Robert_G Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Welcome aboard Timmmaaay. Can't be of much help concerning the bike, but i'm sure someone else will be able to give you some words of wisdom Very Happy.

Robert_G

Back to top Go down

Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley. Empty Re: Wanna be enduro rider - Ebbw Valley.

Post by Timmmaaay! Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Robert. I finish work in 4 minutes, so I think I'll do some more research :bounce:
Timmmaaay!
Timmmaaay!

Back to top Go down

Post by shocker Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

You'll probably hear variations of the following opinions here and most other places

KTM's are the only bike worth owning because they're so fast and have fantastic handling etc, to unreliable pieces of orange shit - with much the same said of GasGas's, Husabergs etc.
Anything Jap eg. (CRF's WR's DRZ's) are outdated, ill handling old men's bikes or again fantastic and super reliable - just depends who you ask!

But for what my opinion's worth, bit's of the info are probably true and bits are probably bollocks, but if you enjoy trail riding enough it don't matter a toss what you ride!
I've ridden all sorts, from shit to decent bikes (but never a KTM Smile ) but the enjoyment level has always had more to do with who you ride with, and where etc. than what colour you choose!!

Ps. - Welcome Very Happy
shocker
shocker

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopes Dad Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:10 pm

Welcome along.

You've answered your own question, there is only one bike to get, DRZ!

Don't listen to any of the cobblers you here of this lot about ktms, they are all deluded. If you do fancy a Ktm, just get up any of the local mountains and pick up the bits that fall off everyone else's Ktm, then build ya own! lol!

If you're new to off roading, get something like an xr or ttr with no rads on that will get mashed when you fall off.

I have a drz, which for what I want suits me, they are bomb proof, but they way a ton and are limited by the suspension, but for a bike you can off road on a Sunday and ride to work Monday they are fine.

Just keep asking questions.
Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by geraint Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:36 pm

hello, i'm a bigger nebie than yourself i'm doing this madness on on a 125 thats older than both my kids ages combined
could'nt have been made more welcome, despite the fear that someone is gonna tap me on the shoulder and whisper in my ear "excuse me sir if thats your little trail bike can you feck off cos this is the big boys club and we don't want your sort"
has'nt happened yet but still keep looking over my shoulder Very Happy
whenever i mention should i get a better(younger) bike to people i just get told as gary mentioned don't fecking matter so long as you out there
geraint
geraint

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Kawasaki kdx 220 Honda crf230 Honda xr400 yamaha wrf250

Mogs
Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Mogs wrote:Kawasaki kdx 220 Honda crf230 Honda xr400 yamaha wrf250

Wow and that coming from a ktm owner Shocked Whats that tell you eh lol!

Think first of all you need to deside if you want a trail bike or a enduro.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by phil990 Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 pm

Don't get anything to big. A 250cc offroad bike aint nothing like a 250cc onroad bike... Very Happy
phil990
phil990

Back to top Go down

Post by HondaMicky Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Ive got a CRF 230, i use it for the commute, electric start very good on juice trailriding. The only down side is there are no indicators When you're turning right it gets dodgy . Beta Alp has a Suzuki 250 air cooled engine i think has electric start and kick indicators could be a good all rounder

HondaMicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next