South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!!

+11
geraint
sparks
Skippy
phil990
wolfy
Mogs
Denzil
captain caveman
Dicky
AndrewC
rob209
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!! Empty Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!!

Post by rob209 Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi all, I'm Rob from Llansamlet. Now thats the ice broken I'm looking for a little advice on Bikes, Trails where and when. I've been riding bikes from a young age. Started off with my xr 80, back in the 80's, had that for a few years and a lot of fun for a teenager. Unfortunatley got a little older married, kids etc. Got myself a Yamaha dt 125 for fun and travel to and from work. That got robbed...!! What can I say? Anyway bike test done some years ago, been after a bike for some time now and I think nows the time. Mid life crisis???????

I'm looking at either another (reliable) xr 400? or Suzuki dr 400? or what about Yamaha wr450? I don't think I'm quite ready to get something bigger after years away from the saddle.

Where are the green lanes around the south wales area? or are there only private track days on someones farm for a price?

I would appreciate all advice and guidance and look forward to reading the replies..

rob209

Back to top Go down

Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!! Empty Re: Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!!

Post by AndrewC Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Rob,
Newbie myself so no great advice on bikes or trails but there are a LOT of great guys on here with loads of advice so your on the right site. I live in Ammanford so looking for local green lanes etc so no doubt we'll catch up on a ride out some time.
Ps. Always keep an eye on "I'm going riding" all the lads post they ride dates and areas etc.
Welcome to the site
Andrew
AndrewC
AndrewC

Back to top Go down

Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!! Empty Re: Newbie From Llansamlet.... Swansea!!

Post by rob209 Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Andrew thanks for the first welcome message. I will be keeping an eye on things on this site, I'm hoping to get myself a nice bike soon and yes you never know, we could end up on a ride....

rob209

Back to top Go down

Post by Dicky Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 pm

Hiya rob and welcome

Loads of lads on here out regularly all over South Wales.
If its a private track your after thats not too far from you have a look at https://www.facebook.com/redvalleymotorsport or look at some vids from there on YouTube
Dicky
Dicky

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Xr and drz are both learner friendly and bomb proof but the drz has electric start witch is a big bonus over the xr.
Wr450 is also a good bike im on my second. cheers Im sure the orange brigade will soon chip Rolling Eyes

captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by rob209 Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Dicky, a private track is far from what I'm after, I'd like to go for a ride anywhere, see a dirt track and follow it! See where it leads, I'm sure you know what I mean, thanks for your input. Are there any tracks to follow via Facebook?

Captain, out of the bikes stated in my opener, with regards to them all how would you compare the wr against the others? I don't just want a "Learner" bike. I would want the best of the few I'm looking at? I don't know a great deal or have experience of a ktm!!!

rob209

Back to top Go down

Post by Denzil Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:04 pm

well thaks for the indroduction cavey my freind but KTM the only bike to have !!!!!! now over Twisted Evil to the gas gas boys !!!
Denzil
Denzil

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm

See you've started the ktm mob off now Rolling Eyes
xr and drz are both trail bikes if you go for a drz there are 2 different models one has more pork than the other.

Wr is a full on enduro bike so will have a bit more grunt and better suspension but will go through tyres brakes chain and sprockets faster.
Just do regular oil changes and look after the chain and they,l go for ever.
My last one had over 10k on the clock.

There all good bike there's guys on here that use or have owned all 3 in the past.

A newer more expensive bike doesn't necessarily make you a better rider, Just ask dean on here.
He went from a xr 400 to a ktm 450, an now spends more time on his ass than a mushroom lol!
captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by rob209 Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 pm

I know there's a difference with the dry bikes, the S model or the E. I'm not quite sure which is the porkier one? or what the difference is? I have been looking at the drz more than the xr, but I borrowed my mates xr for an afternoon and went up to the quarry near Ebbw Vale. Had a good time up there with it. Never ridden a dzr before. The only encounter I've had with a Suzuki was when I had an ER 100. That was some years ago.....

Can anyone tell me which is the better, S or E model DRZ?

rob209

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogs Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Welcome aboard! I ride a Ktm 300 and at the moment can't wait toget rid off the bloody thing!!!!!!
Mogs
Mogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next