South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DRZ overheating

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DRZ overheating Empty DRZ overheating

Post by willIneverlearn Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:53 am

Just bought a DRZ400, 2001 and whilst trying to adjust the idle speed suddenly noticed water spewing from the overflow. Oil is very low. Changing oil filter and new oil today, but if problem is still there what course of action should I take? Sad

willIneverlearn

Back to top Go down

DRZ overheating Empty Re: DRZ overheating

Post by Sir Fallsalot Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:14 am

Is there a cooling fan on the rad if there is check its working if there isnt dont leave it ticking over for too long as this will cause it to overheat
Sir Fallsalot
Sir Fallsalot

Back to top Go down

Post by willIneverlearn Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Sir Fallsalot wrote:Is there a cooling fan on the rad if there is check its working if there isnt dont leave it ticking over for too long as this will cause it to overheat

thanks, there's no fan on the rad, should there be as standard? Is it normal for this to happen on DRZ's? Really didn't want any major repairs, this bike was supposed to save me money, as I had/have my eye on the new CRF250L. Anyone know if they are capable green laners?

willIneverlearn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Fallsalot Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:01 pm

If theres no fan on it then only leave it ticking over for a few minutes at a time if it dont overheat when your riding it then its ok
as for green laning from what ive heard about them their great bikes for it
Sir Fallsalot
Sir Fallsalot

Back to top Go down

Post by willIneverlearn Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:54 pm

Sir Fallsalot wrote:If theres no fan on it then only leave it ticking over for a few minutes at a time if it dont overheat when your riding it then its ok
as for green laning from what ive heard about them their great bikes for it

thanks again. I've put new oil and filter in and taken the DRZ out for a quick field trip, still not happy with idle speed, but very responsive and fast. No issues with overheating, but taking on board running whilst standing. Will get new MOT and hope to tag along on a ride out. Ultimately, I think my Vara needs a CRF as company! Smile

willIneverlearn

Back to top Go down

Post by ogri Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:40 pm

drz has an overflow bottle located just above the left side swingarm pivot,presumably yours has been removed.

what screw where you twiddling.if you have the "E" model the idle adjuster is underneath the carb and the small screw on the right side of the carb is the mixture screw.in for lean,out for rich.

excuse me if your already familiar with this but you sound "new" to dirtbikes.

drz is a great greenlaner imo.the crf is heavy for a 250(only 10kgs less curb weight than my xr650) and underpowered,especially dragging such a heavy carcass around.the bike,not you mate. Smile

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by willIneverlearn Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 pm

ogri wrote:drz has an overflow bottle located just above the left side swingarm pivot,presumably yours has been removed.

what screw where you twiddling.if you have the "E" model the idle adjuster is underneath the carb and the small screw on the right side of the carb is the mixture screw.in for lean,out for rich.

excuse me if your already familiar with this but you sound "new" to dirtbikes.

drz is a great greenlaner imo.the crf is heavy for a 250(only 10kgs less curb weight than my xr650) and underpowered,especially dragging such a heavy carcass around.the bike,not you mate. Smile

Cheers, yes new to dirtbikes, although owned a Cr125 many moons ago.

took a bumble up Tyn Y Coed woods, Creigiau yesterday and bike went very well (no overheating) Tickover is erratic, when warm runs fast and suddenly cuts out. I'm assuming carb needs setting/cleaning, although air filter not been changed.

Got DRZ MOT'd today and insured, can't wait to get out there.

Yes i've a heavy carcass and think I'll stick with the DRZ for now as I'm finding the power is so nice.

willIneverlearn

Back to top Go down

Post by ogri Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:12 am

thats just up the road from me.the carb can be a sod to get off but its fairly straightforward to clean and setup once it free from the bike.

they come very lean(as do most bikes nowadays) and it benefits from having the needle raised a clip.... and a half turn on the mixture screw.as you may have found......they rev like buggery on the choke then die if you knock it off.the fuel screw helps here and gives a lustier tickover(less stalling)and the raised needle help the throttle response.

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by willIneverlearn Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:29 pm

thanks Ogri, was put onto this site by Paddy(work colleague). Haven't tinkered with carb yet, but your spot on with revs/choke etc. What do you ride? When do you ride out? I'm on the estate over by the Ship, Llantwit Fardre. So why doesn't my DRZ have a fan?
Pee Gee's MOT's the bike, Very helpful!

willIneverlearn

Back to top Go down

Post by ogri Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:09 pm

willIneverlearn wrote:thanks Ogri, was put onto this site by Paddy(work colleague). Haven't tinkered with carb yet, but your spot on with revs/choke etc. What do you ride? When do you ride out? I'm on the estate over by the Ship, Llantwit Fardre. So why doesn't my DRZ have a fan?
Pee Gee's MOT's the bike, Very helpful!

i ride a 400ktm and an xr650.

whenever i can.

live in pentyrch.

your drz doesn't have a fan because ordinarily...it doesn't need one.my xr650 doesn't have one and its never boiled over...i simply switch it off if its getting hot waiting for someone to clear the trail.with the leccy start drz i wouldn't hesitate to switch it off if its becoming hot hanging around for anyone.

i put a fmf "Q"on my drz because as standard it was mental.half a turn out on the fuel helped it come off the choke quicker when all my mates drz's were either revving their tits off or refusing to idle after a brief stop at "the dog" on cil common.raising the needle helped with response.putting the fmf on is how i came to mess with carb,thats why i've repeated myself.

hope to be out once or twice during the week, next week.if your free and want a spin let me know.

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next