South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain & Sprocket sets?

+6
Denzil
captain caveman
wolfy
Skippy
bonkeye
Hywel
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chain & Sprocket sets? Empty Chain & Sprocket sets?

Post by Hywel Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm shopping around for a chain & sprockets set and rear wheel bearings.

There are loads of sets including non o/x-ring chains described as "heavy duty THC chain" etc which are half the price of the o/x-ring sets, of course on road bikes it's generally the done thing to run on x or o ring chains, but the price is tempting me as a temporary-ish measure. Bad idea?
Hywel
Hywel

Back to top Go down

Chain & Sprocket sets? Empty Re: Chain & Sprocket sets?

Post by bonkeye Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 am

there's only chain i will use & thats a Renthal R3, there are some great deals out there but you pay cheap you get cheap

the last R3 chain i had lasted me 12 months & thats basicly 4-5 hour rides every other weekend some times id go out every weekend for a few weeks & the chain from memory only needed to be adusted 3 time in that 12 months & then it was only a tiny mount
bonkeye
bonkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Skippy Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Go O ring Hywel, DID.....
Skippy
Skippy

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfy Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Agree with skippy i had Oring DID on my ktm when i got it done 3000 mile before i changed it Very Happy
wolfy
wolfy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:17 pm

Personally i wouldn't go near a Renthal chain again.
Apparently there made by someone else now and just branded Renthal.
The last one was just 3 weeks old when it snapped and smashed my casing to bits.

Have a DID o ring fitted now.
captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by Denzil Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi Hywel I have DID o ring great chain ! You won't go wrong with that one all the best Denzil afro
Denzil
Denzil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth Gates Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 pm

i will b needing DID /O an sprockets ! Best price where ? all replies greatly appreciated ! :x
Gareth Gates
Gareth Gates

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadget Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:32 am

My experience is this Hywel:
The first golden rule is to buy an o-ring chain. Basically the rate of wear of both sprockets and chain is determined by the amount your chain 'stretches'. The chains don't actually 'stretch' but the rivets wear and gives the impression of a stretched chain. An o-ring chain keeps the (factory applied) grease in and the dirt and grit out - this is paramount on a dirt bike of course. If you fit a cheap non-oring chain you'll have to replace chain AND sprockets in no time.
I usually fit alloy rear sprockets because they are much lighter than full steel sprockets and unsprung weight (weight on the wheel) is 5 times as bad as sprung weight. Also the chain engages with many more teeth on the rear sprocket than the front sprocket (so less stress and wear than the front) so as the front is steel and the rear is alloy they tend to wear at a similar rate overall (and remember its governed largely by the state of the chain anyway). I think the hybrid (steel outer, alloy inner) rear sprockets are a bit pricey also.
So ... Buy a good o-ring chain and replace c+s as a set at the same time.

Theres a place in Cwmbran called Sturdy Fluid Power Ltd selling non-branded o-ring chains for £25-£30. I've fitted one to my KDX and it seems ok so far but haven't had it long enough to give it the full thumbs up. Most branded o-ring chains are double that but i thnk the critical thing is that it has O rings(or x-rings).
Gadget
Gadget

Back to top Go down

Post by Hywel Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Thanks for the advice, clears it up a lot!

I ended up getting a cheap-ish X-ring chain from my local parts guy, it's a bit fat and rubs the rubber in the chain guide at the rear sprocket so need to modify that a little but it seems good enough!
Hywel
Hywel

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadget Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Good choice. I had an X-ring on my old pampera and it was great though expensive. The X-ring is supposed to work like an oring but create less friction. Happy days !
Gadget
Gadget

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next