South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

very dirty!

5 posters

Go down

very dirty! Empty very dirty!

Post by bonkeye Mon May 07, 2012 8:01 pm

since i bought the bike i thought the stator was on its way out as it was only pumping out 5.5 volts..... was planning to get it rewond until i took the cover off & was faced with this mess!

what is best to use to clean it also looks like a tad bit of suface rust on the plates that face the inside of the flywheel........ would this mess give me low volts? also make the bike hard to start when cold?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bonkeye
bonkeye

Back to top Go down

very dirty! Empty Re: very dirty!

Post by Hopes Dad Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Be very careful trying to clean it up, you don't want to damage the varnish, or break any of the windings.

I would take the stator out & brush & blow most of the shit off, then clean it up with electro cleaner, screwfix do some for about a fiver.

Clean the housing with any degreaser then.

It maybe that all the shit is making it overheat, but to drop from 13v to 5.5 is a big drop in output, give it a try when you clean it up, but you may need to get it rewound.
Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Mon May 07, 2012 8:38 pm

For a the fly wheel i,d get a brass wire wheel on a drill steal may be a bit to harsh or use a bit of sand paper.

captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by bonkeye Mon May 07, 2012 10:47 pm

flywheel is mint, no suface rust or anything... to save taking it out i was gonna blast all the lose stuff out with a can of compressed air (asda sell it for cleaning behind keys on your PC keyboard) then for the not so loose stuff i was going to use break/carb cleaner...

got both of them here rather than go out & but eletro cleaner... im tight as hell with money lol
bonkeye
bonkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Skippy Tue May 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Im dull as F... but your choice sounds good to me...wd40 maybe aswell???...get the hoover on it !!!!!!!
Skippy
Skippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sheepshagger Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Electrical contact cleaner will do the job ,should be able to get it in any motor factors,or try here.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
sheepshagger
sheepshagger

Back to top Go down

Post by bonkeye Tue May 08, 2012 5:56 pm

all cleaned out now.... was no signs of damage to the stator but still only getting about 5.5 volts until reved then getting about 7 volts but bike still works so im happy.....

i used a can of compressed air to get the lose dirt out then some pro-clean & a paint brush to get the rest out then gave it a blast with some brake cleaner + few hours to dry & gave it a quick squirt of GT85

bonkeye
bonkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopes Dad Thu May 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Where are you measuring the output?

Off of the stator you should be getting dc which will vary with engine speed, more you rev, the more you should get.

The reg /rectifier then converts to ac & limits to about 14v, to run the on bike lectrics.

Have you tested the reg / rect? this could be the problem
Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by bonkeye Thu May 10, 2012 11:08 pm

stupidly when i tested the stator i had the multimeter on DCV should have been on ACV

tested the stator when unpluged from the bike & got 9 ohms on both power wires so there working very well, i found the power wires had started to break apart where they run next to the headstock do ran so new wires & my test bulb lit up really bright

so next job is to wire up the headlamp so its on constant, not going to bother with a switch on the handle bars as its just something else to go wrong so headlight will be on main beam soon as the bike starts then off when it stops, also going to wire in brake light presure sensors for front & rear levers, need to find out if i run the earth through the presure switch & direct live feed the light or other way round

oh yeah & the stator came up nice.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
bonkeye
bonkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down