South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

trip to the "Welsh".

+7
tricks
chamber66
Tilts
captain caveman
wege
ktm jon
ogri
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Empty Re: trip to the "Welsh".

Post by ogri Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm

Walnutwhip wrote:Brilliant report ogri thanks for sharing with us...

missed somthing tho how long you had the beast xr six fiddy?

Missing mine trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_sad

about a year now rich.a lots of power and the sussies seem harsh at low speeds so struggling with it a little bit.

needs the sag set but i can't get at it without dismantling it.as the swingarm pivot bolt is seized i'm going to wait until i tackle that job before i alter it.i'll do that re-valve mod thats on the internet for the front and hopefully i'll have an easier time of it.

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by Robcrossy Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Great report, enjoyed that..... trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Robcrossy
Robcrossy

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutwhip Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:55 am

ogri wrote:
Walnutwhip wrote:Brilliant report ogri thanks for sharing with us...

missed somthing tho how long you had the beast xr six fiddy?

Missing mine trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_sad

about a year now rich.a lots of power and the sussies seem harsh at low speeds so struggling with it a little bit.

needs the sag set but i can't get at it without dismantling it.as the swingarm pivot bolt is seized i'm going to wait until i tackle that job before i alter it.i'll do that re-valve mod thats on the internet for the front and hopefully i'll have an easier time of it.

Found the rear was too light for my weight but should be ok with you Ogri...just used a brass rod to whack the collars [no damage] to set sag. (sorry mate old enduro rider fix in the woods tactics lol).

The front was particularly bad under heavy braking or on stutter bumps and really made the bike wallow...offcourse not what it was meant to be used for but if set up as well as possible for mx it would be good for the Rallies or carrying some load ie Luggage.

Dont know if this is any good to you - the original oil is like whale snot never seen anything like it came out in one splodge [hence poor damping] changed front and rear springs too Eibach, heaviest springs in front with light weight oil. Use ATF or hydraulic oil as light weight the front end was mint as Nucking futs think the lighter oil may solve the valving, perhaps some washers to preload the springs may be worth a try? Got the number for the eibach springs if you need it.
Your welcome to the oil got loads here! trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_wink

Tell Fred his bike looks mint love it!!
Walnutwhip
Walnutwhip

Back to top Go down

Post by EddieXR Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Great report.
I know what you mean about the front forks, mine was lethal on anything that was not smooth when I first got it, I was struggling on stuff that I had flown up as a beginner., but I felt that it was a hell of a bike if I could just get it right.
Took Walnuts advice to get rid of the "whale snot" ,opened the compression and pre load adjusters to the softest settings. This helped a lot but I still felt it was not right. Most people said "well what do you expect its a heavy pig". Anyway I re read the Borynack pages and went for it. I was after the plush setting so did not change any of the shims just drilled out the valves and filled it with 3.5 weight oil (approx because I had a bottle of 2.5 and a 5 then mixed them).
This made a hell of a difference and transformed the bike. I now understand what plush means.

Stronger springs front and rear will probably improve it further but its not bad now.

EddieXR

Back to top Go down

Post by ogri Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 am

Walnutwhip wrote:

Found the rear was too light for my weight but should be ok with you Ogri...just used a brass rod to whack the collars [no damage] to set sag. (sorry mate old enduro rider fix in the woods tactics lol).

The front was particularly bad under heavy braking or on stutter bumps and really made the bike wallow...offcourse not what it was meant to be used for but if set up as well as possible for mx it would be good for the Rallies or carrying some load ie Luggage.

Dont know if this is any good to you - the original oil is like whale snot never seen anything like it came out in one splodge [hence poor damping] changed front and rear springs too Eibach, heaviest springs in front with light weight oil. Use ATF or hydraulic oil as light weight the front end was mint as Nucking futs think the lighter oil may solve the valving, perhaps some washers to preload the springs may be worth a try? Got the number for the eibach springs if you need it.
Your welcome to the oil got loads here! trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_wink

Tell Fred his bike looks mint love it!!

how did you get at the collars though.couldn't find any space.thinking about it i didn't try with the left hand side-panel removed. trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Suspect changed the fork oil as soon as i got it home and it came out likei was pouring from a new bottle.unbelievably clean,bloke told me he just payed for a service.....perhaps he wasn't bullshiting me.

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by ogri Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

EddieXR wrote:Great report.
I know what you mean about the front forks, mine was lethal on anything that was not smooth when I first got it, I was struggling on stuff that I had flown up as a beginner., but I felt that it was a hell of a bike if I could just get it right.
Took Walnuts advice to get rid of the "whale snot" ,opened the compression and pre load adjusters to the softest settings. This helped a lot but I still felt it was not right. Most people said "well what do you expect its a heavy pig". Anyway I re read the Borynack pages and went for it. I was after the plush setting so did not change any of the shims just drilled out the valves and filled it with 3.5 weight oil (approx because I had a bottle of 2.5 and a 5 then mixed them).
This made a hell of a difference and transformed the bike. I now understand what plush means.

Stronger springs front and rear will probably improve it further but its not bad now.

will have a go soon eddie.have to use a rattle gun to get the bottom valve out as i have no special tools here.fecking rear wheel needs a rebuild an all. trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

ogri

Back to top Go down

Post by EddieXR Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:36 pm

ogri wrote:

will have a go soon eddie.have to use a rattle gun to get the bottom valve out as i have no special tools here.fecking rear wheel needs a rebuild an all. trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

No special tool here either just a 27mm nut welded to a length of tube trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_wink

The XR is certainly hard on the rear spokes. I have replaced a few and regularly tighten others.
It must be the torque as I don't have the problem on other bikes.
Its an awesome bike now that the trails have dried out a bit trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Affraid

EddieXR

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutwhip Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 pm

+1 on the rear wheel huge torque and no cush drive mated to piss poor rim keep an eye on them boyz...

Managed to pick up a new wheel gen Honda done 100 miles £50 just thought id get that one in Ogri to make you sick couldnt believe it!!

Excell rim spokes the way to go? trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Nice info on the "Eddy special tool".
Walnutwhip
Walnutwhip

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:50 pm

i can rember on mine having to keep tightening the rear spokes more often than i put petrol in trip to the "Welsh". - Page 2 Icon_lol
captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by Tilts Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am

Beast of a bike, only kept mine for a few months, had three death moments whilst out one sunday, one of them was try to overtake chambers, she spat me off and i left a dent in the ground.
Tilts
Tilts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2