South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Swansea :-)

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Swansea :-) Empty Hello from Swansea :-)

Post by TazSteelHorse Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello Ladies and Gents, my name is James I'm a Ambulance driver from Swansea. Interested in dirt bikes since i was about 6 had my first one when i was about 13 but i used to get into to much trouble on it so my mum in her infinite wisdom sold the bike. I have been riding around on road bikes but also wanted to get back to my roots so it led me to you guys as i want to do it right this time :-).

So looking at doing my direct access in the next couple of months and I'm looking at getting a Yamaha YZ 125 2 stroke for my green laning and motocross and my road bike is a Kawasaki ER-6F as i cant do one without the other, kinda want the best of both worlds Very Happy, So i will look forward to having a blast, Feel free to add me on facebook so we can keep in torch and so on, so talk to ya all soon and keep safe taz out.

Name on facebook is : Taz Steelhorse

TazSteelHorse

Back to top Go down

Hello from Swansea :-) Empty Re: Hello from Swansea :-)

Post by geraint Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm

hello
geraint
geraint

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi are you going to be registering the yz then?
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by TazSteelHorse Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello Steve, yer would be looking at registering the bike, all the ones i have seen for sale are crossers only, been trying to find someone that have done it to the same bike but that ain't easy lol tried looking for the parts for them and cant seem to find many i.e lights and so on and would be nice to know what i need to make it road legal.

also been toying with the idea of either getting the 125 or the 250 not sure yet. But also forgot how much maintenance them racing 2 stroke need its been a while. if they go out the window because of shear cost to run i will be getting my old fav, a Yamaha DT 125. So time will tell, A quick question for you steve if i may, is there some sort of trails comp in wales if so what does it entail? Thanks for the welcome guys and talk to you soon taz out.

TazSteelHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by steve Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi i had a road legal yz 250 cracking bike but not very pleasant on the road at all.
A 125 motocross i would imagine would be a nightmare on the road.
All you need for a daytime mot is a rear plate reflector and i think a horn.

I think there are a few trials around the place not sure where or when through.
steve
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by geraint Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 pm

don't forget kmx's,  nothing wrong with kmx's, heard nothing but good things about kmx's 
i saw a kmx around once and thought to myself that looks like a REALLY nice bike i wonder what it is ??? turned out to be a kmx lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
geraint
geraint

Back to top Go down

Post by chamber66 Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 pm

It's seems to be quite a frig to register an mx bike, you may be better off finding an already registered on. Anyway this is how to do it

1) Get a certificate of newness ( for an age related plate)If you want it on an age related plate then get a certificate of newness (for KTM you just call up www.ktm.co.uk on 01280 709500 and ask the person that anwers the phone that you want a certificate of newness; they will will then give you there email address ; email them with the frame & engine No, make and model of bike; and your address. Its free and they usually post it within a couple of days

2) Get it on a daytime MOT

Remove any lights unless they are fully working for a daytime MOT all you need is a reflector at the back of the bike for the day / road legal tyres and a horn ( get the £10 mega horn from Halfords) horn) that's it; clearly your bike need to be road worthy i.e. no oil leaks; good brakes etc etc just book it in and get your MOT!

If you want a full MOT you will need tail light and brake might operated by both front and rear levers; front light with main beam and dip.

3) Insurance
Get insurance on the frame number (Carol Nash will do this for two weeks; you then have to give them the plate No when registered; make sure you can get to the DVLA within 2 weeks of insuring it or they will cancel your policy.

4) The DVLA
Go on the internet and download a V55/5 from the www.dvla.gov.uk there website or you can get one over the phone. When you get this fill it in with the obvious boxes but make sure you put it down as a 'enduro bike' you don't need to fill out all the emmssions info / power to weight etc etc, you don't need to fill out things to do with the MSVA test.

Just fill out your details; bike info make, colour, cc's etc.

go to your local DVLA without the bike first but with all your paperwork ( inc passport and utility bill) you pay them £96 which includes your tax for a year

when you are there on your first visit you will need to book the bike in for a inspection

go back on your inspection date; they measure seat height and ground clearance - thats all; and will tell you on the day of inspection its registration Number and give you a tax disc

5) Give the registration number to your insurance company
And get a cool plate made up for your new bike

6) Your Log book
wait about 1 week and your log book will come through; just check the frame and engine number are correct.
chamber66
chamber66

Back to top Go down

Post by TazSteelHorse Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Well Chamber66 thanks for that your a gent mate, Just need to find the parts for the bike now i.e. head Light, break light, indicators and so on. Cool Steve how often were you changing the crank oil, gear box oil and all the other bits and bobs? Want to try and get as much info as possible the last couple of hours been looking at the Yamaha WR250F and one got any experience with these bikes?

Because this bike is not just going to be for trail and green lane riding i would like to use it on motocross track days also that's why i was aiming for more toward a 2 stroke monster as it would cover the 2 bases i was thinking, but if i was using a racing 2 stroke and the oil needs to be changed after 2 rides and the filter normally cleaned after every ride, if i were doing a 3 day trail event that's going to be a bit of a pain having to maintain the bike in the field, if i may ask Steve hot did you deal with this dilemma? lol so what bike i want to get is up in the air, ideally the bike (if there is one) would be a 250cc 2 stroke motocross bike that is not race tuned so you don't have maintain it after 2 days riding. Thanks for the info guys seem like a great bunch on here and cant wait to go for a blast with you all and have some muddy fun taz out.

TazSteelHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down