South Wales Trail Riders

Welcome to South Wales trail riders, Dedicated to trail riding throughout Wales and beyond.

Dollygelly Arctic Expedition

crm250dude

Dollygelly Arctic Expedition

Post by crm250dude on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 pm

I SURVIVED THE BEAST FROM THE EAST !!

So when Clarky AKA Pingu posted the ride none of us thought it would be -10,
    however we should have though that Pingu has a 6th sence in sniffing out cold weather !!

Even the B&B called him to ask if he was mad or what and should they switch our deposit to a more sensible date...
    still Pingu ignored them and the met office's weather warning!!!

Woke up at silly o'clock on saturday morning and saw slush puppy coming from the sky, got to the meet point and it didnt look too bad,
    the first part of the trails were really good, nice soft ground - good roosting conditions - que dave and muffy - poor kirky got most of the brunt of it..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It wasnt until the Elan Valley that things started to turn for the worse, just after Spozzer peeled off with an injury (lucky bloke)
    - we could see the snow storm up ahead and we were riding straight into it...
    Got to the river crossing and Pingu got his karma - drowned the bike... standing there thigh high in freezing torrential water and had to dive in to get the bike
    It did fill me with fear... as I was next ... lucky we all got over, McQueen had a little dab and just put his handlebars in...

As we were waiting for Pingu and dave to sort out the bike - McQueens throttle totally froze - no movment whatsoever had to get 2 bikes exhausts to blast hot air on it too free it up - never seen that before !!

Cut a few trails out and got to the digs - pukka set up - proper drying room and most importantly a bar !! happy days

popped into town for a curry - the B&B woman gave us lifts back and forth - proper diamond ..
    few night caps in the bar and off to cuddle up...

The morning news was a nightmare - the B&B was blanketed in snow and over breakfast we decided to road burn it home rather than risk our lives on mountain tops ...

That was the coldest road burn I have ever experienced - stopped every 20/30 miles for a coffee until we just about got the feeling back in our fingers and toes - then back off into the Siberian wind

we all made it home though - vans under a foot of snow and although not the best weekend as far as trail riding goes - great bonding session and a cracking laugh

- no moaners (apart from me because Brownie kept me awake all night with the noises coming from each end)

Certainly one to remember !!

Thanks Pingu for the frostbite and Wolfy for being the sensible one
    looking forward to next time

Here's Brownies Vid -

wolfy

Re: Dollygelly Arctic Expedition

Post by wolfy on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Cracking report Dude Very Happy

Saturday was a giggle even on the blizzard trails in the afternoon, B&B was spot on, beers & a curry with friends was awesome Very Happy the road burn home in those conditions was hell on earth but needed & one that wont be forgotten for a while lol!
    phil990

Post by phil990 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks for a cracking report Dude and well done all! I was wondering if you would just decide to get back on the Sunday.

I bet those mountains didn't look at all inviting when you were getting up and having breakfast... Shocked
    brownie

Post by brownie on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 pm

cracking right up dude,
    was a great weekend despite the weather, we were talking of returning in spring/summer for a camping trip but could stay at this place again as it was ideal, someone else can share with spenny next time though. wtf wtf
    crm250dude

Post by crm250dude on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:40 pm

brownie wrote:cracking right up dude,
    was a great weekend despite the weather, we were talking of returning in spring/summer for a camping trip but could stay at this place again as it was ideal, someone else can share with spenny next time though. wtf wtf

Are you publicly breaking up with me WTAF??
    steve

Post by steve on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Fair play Dude good effort, I can't say i wished i was there or that i miss days like that Shocked
    geraint

Post by geraint on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Well done all, but can't help but think feck that for a game of soldiers affraid
    Clarky_two

Post by Clarky_two on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Cracking write up Dude. Thanks to all for a great weekend. Looking back it wasnt that bad coming home on the road it was absolutely terrible and i dont want to go out on the bike till atleast June. Great company and a good laugh as always. Thanks Wolfy for sweeping and thanks everyone for the moral support. We will defo go back next winter....
    wayne xr

Post by wayne xr on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Great pics well done Dave and muffy smiler I'm sure kirky had it coming
    crm250dude

Post by crm250dude on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:15 pm

wayne xr wrote:Great pics well done Dave and muffy  smiler  I'm sure kirky had it coming

im sure Joe got him at one of the gates too - it was terribly unsporting Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 am