WRF timing guru?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WRF timing guru?

Post by curl666 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 pm

I checked the valve clearances today on the 04 wrf 250. Followed the manual for setting the engine to TDC using the I mark on flywheel and the dots on the cams.

The timing marks were slightly off, with the flywheel mark lined up the exhaust cam mark was close to lining up with the face of the head but the intake cam was way off it's mark. However the camshaft lobes pointed away from each other symmetrically.

I took the intake cam out and lined the timing mark up to the face of the head as stated in the manual. Turned the engine over and the timing marks are better lined up. However now the cams are not pointing symmetrically away from each other. The adjusted intake cam lobe is lower than the other cam.

I've ordered a new chain and intend to shim the valves once I'm happy with the timing. I'm just not sure whether to have the timing marks lined up or put it back and have the lobes symmetrical

curl666

Back to top Go down

Re: WRF timing guru?

Post by crm250dude on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:22 pm

thats not a language I understand - there are lots of words there that make sense but when I read them all together it may as well be arabic 

وهذا لا يجعل من المنطقي بالنسبة لي قد ترغب في محاولة باللغة العربية
crm250dude
Forum Sponser

Back to top Go down

Post by curl666 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:36 pm

How about this... FUCK THE SHIMS AND THE STUPID YAMAHA SETUP, WHY CANT IT HAVE ADJUSTABLE TAPPETS LIKE THE KTM RFS!!!!!

curl666

Back to top Go down

Post by dai 530 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:24 pm

1st thing to do is fit the new chain and set the timing marks correct and then turn it over by hand I have come across a come of yams and the rmz and kxf where the gears spin on the cam shaft because there only presses on
dai 530

Back to top Go down

Post by curl666 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 am

dai 530 wrote:1st thing to do is fit the new chain and set the timing marks correct and then turn it over by hand I have come across a come of yams and the rmz and kxf where the gears spin on the cam shaft because there only presses on

I read a few posts about this happening online. If it has span on the shaft, then surely the marks are off?

So would I just set the timing off the cam lobe position at TDC?

curl666

Back to top Go down

Post by dai 530 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:20 am

Yes if it's turned on the shaft the timing marks will be be off the only real way is to fit a new cam shaft you can guess the timing but if it goes bang it's big bucks to fix the last one I done the valves were £105 each
dai 530

Back to top Go down

Post by curl666 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:02 pm

dai 530 wrote:Yes if it's turned on the shaft the timing marks will be be off the only real way is to fit a new cam shaft you can guess the timing but if it goes bang it's big bucks to fix the last one I done the valves were £105 each

I've got a set of cams from a yzf spare in the garage. I'll try and time it up with the original and also have a look with the yzf cam.

curl666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top