Problems starting bike

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by keith husky 450 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Sounds like blocked idle jet
avatar
keith husky 450
Forum Sponser

Posts : 1269
Join date : 2014-08-25
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by crm250dude on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:51 pm

JTM525 wrote:
crm250dude wrote:sounds like HT lead / spark plug problems - a tiny dribble of water in that area can be a nightmare ....
We were out with cricket just before Christmas - he had carb probs and it started backfiring, he stripped his carb - drained it and all sorts .... only for someone to notice a slight crack in the HT lead - put some insulation tape around it and was good all day

Same thing happened to me but with the plug cap, perfect now even in 4 ft of water affraid lol!

sorry - correction - crack in the cap - not the lead ....

If i was you I would pack some good insulation tape tomorrow - let it warm up and dry off before hitting 4ft of water
avatar
crm250dude
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3365
Join date : 2013-11-03
Location : Right here, Right now!

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by JTM525 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:55 pm

crm250dude wrote:
JTM525 wrote:
crm250dude wrote:sounds like HT lead / spark plug problems - a tiny dribble of water in that area can be a nightmare ....
We were out with cricket just before Christmas - he had carb probs and it started backfiring, he stripped his carb - drained it and all sorts .... only for someone to notice a slight crack in the HT lead - put some insulation tape around it and was good all day

Same thing happened to me but with the plug cap, perfect now even in 4 ft of water affraid lol!

sorry - correction - crack in the cap - not the lead ....

If i was you I would pack some good insulation tape tomorrow - let it warm up and dry off before hitting 4ft of water
No water crossings tomorrow, I've tried to get across its going to be a slow, gentle newbie route but nobody is believing me scratch Laughing
avatar
JTM525
Forum Sponser

Posts : 2814
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by steve on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:59 pm

Cant think why
avatar
steve

Posts : 4159
Join date : 2010-01-26
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by jenkinR on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:59 pm

I've bin thinking about compression and I'm worried it all makes sense!

A friend say he noticed blue smoke recently, and looking at the oil it looks like it filled with lots of tiny tiny bubbles, which I'm thinking may actually be metal! But I'm not sure if I'm getting worked up over nothing!!

I might ride it over tomorrow morning to meet you guys (with the Mrs in toe just incase!) As id be interested to know your thoughts!
+If it all straightens out on the ride up then happy days I'll crack on!


jenkinR

Posts : 23
Join date : 2016-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by JTM525 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:15 pm

jenkinR wrote:I've bin thinking about compression and I'm worried it all makes sense!

A friend say he noticed blue smoke recently, and looking at the oil it looks like it filled with lots of tiny tiny bubbles, which I'm thinking may actually be metal! But I'm not sure if I'm getting worked up over nothing!!

I might ride it over tomorrow morning to meet you guys (with the Mrs in toe just incase!) As id be interested to know your thoughts!
+If it all straightens out on the ride up then happy days I'll crack on!

Yeah no worries, see you in the morning Very Happy
avatar
JTM525
Forum Sponser

Posts : 2814
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 35

Back to top Go down

Problems starting

Post by mizzed on Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:19 pm

New piston and rings has made mine a hell of a lot easier to start.
avatar
mizzed
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3053
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 37
Location : Tafarnaubach

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by Mathew_3066 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:16 pm

I had problems with my 450 starting it and as said it was plug cap. Only a couple of quid and 2 minutes to fit. Worth doing to eliminate it
avatar
Mathew_3066

Posts : 530
Join date : 2015-09-14
Age : 26
Location : Llanelli

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by jenkinR on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:50 pm

Ok.. its been a long day but I have learned a lot!

As before the bike still starts on the button and runs fine.
However after a battery charge, the bike will start once, then there's not enough juice to get it going and it'll be flat after 5 attempts. (New battery time?)

I then fiddled with the spark plug a bit and finaly managed to kick start it 3 or 4 times..
But then it stopped kicking over again...
So I'm hoping it is just water damage!

The only problem I now have is getting the old spark plug out!! I've always brought genuine KTM parts from Fowlers..
But Fowler's 1/2 inch KTM spark plug remover is £42
+A new plastic cap is £22 (neither price including VAT!)

I don't have a lot of cash and these prices seem redicliuous!! Can anyone recommend somewhere much cheaper please!!! (+preferably in a 3/8 drive)

Oh and secondly.. I've changed the rear brake pads, but now all of a sudden there doesn't seem to be enough brake fluid, it doesn't bite till the brake arm is as far down as it will go! (And that's after winding the eye shaped ball joint to the furthers thread possible) have I missed something obvious here??!!

jenkinR

Posts : 23
Join date : 2016-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by Mathew_3066 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 pm

jenkinR wrote:Ok.. its been a long day but I have learned a lot!

As before the bike still starts on the button and runs fine.
However after a battery charge, the bike will start once, then there's not enough juice to get it going and it'll be flat after 5 attempts. (New battery time?)

I then fiddled with the spark plug a bit and finaly managed to kick start it 3 or 4 times..
But then it stopped kicking over again...
So I'm hoping it is just water damage!

The only problem I now have is getting the old spark plug out!! I've always brought genuine KTM parts from Fowlers..
But Fowler's 1/2 inch KTM spark plug remover is £42
+A new plastic cap is £22 (neither price including VAT!)

I don't have a lot of cash and these prices seem redicliuous!! Can anyone recommend somewhere much cheaper please!!! (+preferably in a 3/8 drive)

Oh and secondly.. I've changed the rear brake pads, but now all of a sudden there doesn't seem to be enough brake fluid, it doesn't bite till the brake arm is as far down as it will go! (And that's after winding the eye shaped ball joint to the furthers thread possible) have I missed something obvious here??!!

New plug cap should be about 7 the most I think. Plugs are cheap enough as well. If you fiddled with the plug cap / lead and it started, I'd change the 2 just to be on the safe side.

Is the brake fluid to the max ??
avatar
Mathew_3066

Posts : 530
Join date : 2015-09-14
Age : 26
Location : Llanelli

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems starting bike

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum