South Wales Trail Riders

    Stripped sump plug

    Share
    avatar
    JTM525

    Posts : 2817
    Join date : 2014-01-19
    Age : 36

    Stripped sump plug

    Post by JTM525 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:25 pm

    Upon removing the sump plug today it was very tight coming out, maybe some heavy handed oaf over tightened it last oil change Rolling Eyes going back in though it was really easy and didn't seem to be able to nip up tight. I've wrapped some ptfe around it so I can go out tomorrow ( hopefully it holds and bits of engine don't start flying about the place! )
    Obviously the ptfe isn't the most permanent fix so which would be the best way to fix it? Helicoil or something else?
    avatar
    crm250dude

    Posts : 3472
    Join date : 2013-11-03
    Location : Right here, Right now!

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by crm250dude on Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:41 pm

    i did the same on my CRM - i used loads of loctite and its sat in there ok for now

    avatar
    wolfy

    Posts : 6811
    Join date : 2010-11-30
    Age : 49
    Location : Care Home, but sometimes they let me out

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by wolfy on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:05 pm

    Had the same with mine , had it helicoiled for a tenner Very Happy
    Not so easy on your bike tho joe, if I remember the sump plug is in a bitch of a place to fix on yours.
    avatar
    JTM525

    Posts : 2817
    Join date : 2014-01-19
    Age : 36

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by JTM525 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

    wolfy wrote:Had the same with mine , had it helicoiled for a tenner Very Happy
    Not so easy on your bike tho joe, if I remember the sump plug is in a bitch of a place to fix on yours.
    Yeah there's a frame crossbar behind it so it's engine out job whatever I do Sad
    Who done the helicoil for you mate?
    avatar
    JTM525

    Posts : 2817
    Join date : 2014-01-19
    Age : 36

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by JTM525 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:12 pm

    crm250dude wrote:i did the same on my CRM - i used loads of loctite and its sat in there ok for now

    I was thinking of that but I'm more of a permenant solution kind of guy lol!
    avatar
    wolfy

    Posts : 6811
    Join date : 2010-11-30
    Age : 49
    Location : Care Home, but sometimes they let me out

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by wolfy on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:15 pm

    Thinking about it, I'm sure I rounded of the bolt head on my last bike.
    So maybe chemical metal the sump plug then change your oil from the screen bolts then.... after ?
    avatar
    wolfy

    Posts : 6811
    Join date : 2010-11-30
    Age : 49
    Location : Care Home, but sometimes they let me out

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by wolfy on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:16 pm

    JTM525 wrote:
    wolfy wrote:Had the same with mine , had it helicoiled for a tenner Very Happy
    Not so easy on your bike tho joe, if I remember the sump plug is in a bitch of a place to fix on yours.
    Yeah there's a frame crossbar behind it so it's engine out job whatever I do Sad
    Who done the helicoil for you mate?

    Ray Cowles....pontypool
    avatar
    steve

    Posts : 4245
    Join date : 2010-01-26

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by steve on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:20 pm

    I wouldn't be going out on that tomorrow, If it drops out your not going to know till its to late, and the weather shit to lol!
    avatar
    JTM525

    Posts : 2817
    Join date : 2014-01-19
    Age : 36

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by JTM525 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:29 pm

    wolfy wrote:Thinking about it,  I'm sure I rounded of the bolt head on my last bike.
    So maybe chemical metal the sump plug then change your oil from the screen bolts then.... after ?
    I could do that, it would be the easiest option but it don't take me long to get the engine out and may even get the frame powder coated while I'm at it lol!
    avatar
    JTM525

    Posts : 2817
    Join date : 2014-01-19
    Age : 36

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by JTM525 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:31 pm

    steve wrote:I wouldn't be going out on that tomorrow, If it drops out your not going to know till its to late, and the weather shit to lol!
    I can't jib, its not moral lol!

    Sponsored content

    Re: Stripped sump plug

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:30 am