Front sprocket play

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by wolfy on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:11 pm

Looks like the RFS engine needs a good welsh river wash out to me lol!
avatar
wolfy
Forum Sponser

Posts : 6505
Join date : 2010-11-30
Age : 48
Location : Care Home, but sometimes they let me out

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by mizzed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:12 pm

curl666 wrote:
crm250dude wrote:and the chain has been run a bit tight recently i fear

Since mizzed has updated with a bit more info, a tight chain would affect side to side play on the shaft.
He states you have zero side to side play. So less of a worry in my opinion.

Just double checked it, and cant feel any sideplay and if there is any, you certainly couldn't measure it.
avatar
mizzed
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3045
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 37
Location : Tafarnaubach

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by curl666 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Occasionally my 03 450 exc would have a few obvious metalic shards on the sump plug.

But I had the bike over a year, it started every time, ran well, pulled hard and without any nasty noises.

Other than the "Ktm death rattle" where the crankshaft nut loosens, the RFS engines are near bombproof.


curl666

Posts : 493
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by curl666 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:23 pm

Another thought, are you loosing any oil from the seal around the shaft?

Surely if you had excess play on the shaft it would weep oil?

curl666

Posts : 493
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by mizzed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:29 pm

No oil leaks at all, which is why I wanted to know the tolerance for the end play.

Having tested it tonight before the oil drop, there's defiantly a vibration coming from the engine I believe,

second gear mid revs is the worst, when lightly revving in neutral, it felt most focused in the stator area.

Pulled the cover, and there is no play in the flywheel in any direction.
avatar
mizzed
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3045
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 37
Location : Tafarnaubach

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by curl666 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 pm

mizzed wrote:No oil leaks at all, which is why I wanted to know the tolerance for the end play.

Having tested it tonight before the oil drop, there's defiantly a vibration coming from the engine I believe,

second gear mid revs is the worst, when lightly revving in neutral, it felt most focused in the stator area.

Pulled the cover, and there is no play in the flywheel in any direction.

Sounds similar to the "ktm death rattle" I mentioned earlier. I repaired it on my 03 450.

You can usually hear a strange noise when you operate the clutch in and out with the bike idling. Or if you have the bike running in any gear under its own weight, ie down hill, you can hear the noise even worse.

Its common for the primary nut on the crank to loosen. Its a Left hand thread, and should be tight as a nuns chuff. Get a socket on it and check if its loose. Or in my case, it was hanging off, literally finger tight. There is a really good guide on the ktm forum to repair it. Cost wise is minimal, new nut and woodruff key.

curl666

Posts : 493
Join date : 2012-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by steve on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 pm

Smoke less of that green stuff bung in some 20/50 oil in it and dog on brow lol
My drain plugs looked like that a few times. I found the best cure was to wipe it off stick it back in and forget about it till next time.
If it ant broke dont fix it lol
avatar
steve

Posts : 4153
Join date : 2010-01-26
Age : 41

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by keith husky 450 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:46 pm

wolfy wrote:Looks like the RFS engine needs a good welsh river wash out to me lol!
I can do that free of charge
avatar
keith husky 450
Forum Sponser

Posts : 1240
Join date : 2014-08-25
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by mizzed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:53 pm

curl666 wrote:
mizzed wrote:No oil leaks at all, which is why I wanted to know the tolerance for the end play.

Having tested it tonight before the oil drop, there's defiantly a vibration coming from the engine I believe,

second gear mid revs is the worst, when lightly revving in neutral, it felt most focused in the stator area.

Pulled the cover, and there is no play in the flywheel in any direction.

Sounds similar to the "ktm death rattle" I mentioned earlier. I repaired it on my 03 450.

You can usually hear a strange noise when you operate the clutch in and out with the bike idling. Or if you have the bike running in any gear under its own weight, ie down hill, you can hear the noise even worse.

Its common for the primary nut on the crank to loosen. Its a Left hand thread, and should be tight as a nuns chuff. Get a socket on it and check if its loose. Or in my case, it was hanging off, literally finger tight. There is a really good guide on the ktm forum to repair it. Cost wise is minimal, new nut and woodruff key.

That's pretty close to the symptoms to be fair, its at its worse when holding on engine braking.

I've seen the death rattle thread on ktmforums, will investigate further.
avatar
mizzed
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3045
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 37
Location : Tafarnaubach

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by mizzed on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Also Curl, did your death rattle get progressively worse? or did it just appear? Think it just appeared on spences bike from nothing to very apparant, and has got worse since.
avatar
mizzed
Forum Sponser

Posts : 3045
Join date : 2015-05-04
Age : 37
Location : Tafarnaubach

Back to top Go down

Re: Front sprocket play

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum