South Wales Trail Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

+3
RichLew
lchris21
lanerboy
7 posters

Go down

2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why??? Empty 2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

Post by lanerboy Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:22 pm

2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

hi all

my mate has got a 2012 250f six day bike same as mine, now mine has done 50 hrs and his has done around 15 hrs i think at the most, he bought it from a dealer around 7 weeks ago with 6 hrs on the clock.

the thing is it started smoking at the weekend and had a ticking noise to it that mine hasn't got so today he has stripped the head off and found one of the exhaust valves has nearly worn through on the stem and it has worn the valve guide and the other exhaust valve is showing signs of wear also.

he has taken it back to the dealer and they have taken pictures to send to ktm austria as they said ktm uk will not want to know.

firstly does he have any come back rergards warrenty as he has only done 10 hrs and around 200 miles on the bike since buying it for £6300 i know it is a dirt bike but wondered under the sale of goods act if he has any come back, as to be frank it really is not good enough after splashing out over 6k on a bike.

secondly has anyone else had this problem and can anyone shed any light on why it has happened, we both use the same fuel an same engine oil my bike has done 50hrs and is perfectly fine his has done 15 hrs and is f*cked why is this

cheers LB

lanerboy

Back to top Go down

2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why??? Empty Re: 2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

Post by lchris21 Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:36 pm

sounds shocking, no way should that happen at over 100hrs let alone 15. sounds like some moneky has shoved the wrong guides in at the factory and they've got a batch of chocolate valves in the bottom of the box

drop this guy an email and explain the situation......

give him a bit of shpiel about the supposed quality of the marque, blah, blah blah, and that you're an active member of various off road forums, you'll get it examined by a third party etc, etc and see what he says?

dont let the dealer fob you off with the UK don't care shizzle

worth a try?

BERNIE TILLER AMIMI

Aftersales Support Co-ordinator

KTM-SPORTMOTORCYCLE UK LTD

KTM House, Ward Road,

Brackley Northamptonshire,

NN13 7LE

P: +44 (0) 1280 709500

F: +44 (0) 1280 709689

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

lchris21

Back to top Go down

2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why??? Empty Re: 2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

Post by RichLew Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 pm

If you dont get anywhere with ktm there's always the small claims court. It will cost you £50 to bring your claim and you dont need a solicitor. It can only deal with claims up to £5k but that should be plenty to fix the bike.
Was the bike road registered by any chance?- This would possibly give you more protection under the law.
Was the bike bought with a Visa debit/credit card or Paypal? If so then he will have some protection. Does he have legal protection included in his bank account or union membership?
I dont think he has done himself any favours by taking it apart mind.

RichLew

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopes Dad Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm

lanerboy wrote:2012 250f major engine problems anyone know why???

firstly does he have any come back rergards warrenty as he has only done 10 hrs and around 200 miles on the bike since buying it for £6300 i know it is a dirt bike but wondered under the sale of goods act if he has any come back, as to be frank it really is not good enough after splashing out over 6k on a bike.

secondly has anyone else had this problem and can anyone shed any light on why it has happened, we both use the same fuel an same engine oil my bike has done 50hrs and is perfectly fine his has done 15 hrs and is f*cked why is this

cheers LB

Bets approach would be to speak with the dealer, be polite & ask them wether they think this is fair wear & tear, which it isn't. If they say they don't beleive it is then mention that the bike that they have supplied is not fit for purpose. This won't be there fault, as they are just selling on something manufactured by ktm.

Once you have them on your side just keep reminding them that you have bought a bike for £6500, & that it has not lived up to either of your expectations & that it has fallen well short of what the manufacturers service intervals & expected life of some of the individual components.

Main thing is don't go in all guns blazing, try to stay calm & keep hitting them with things like "not fit for purpose" & "expected life span".

ktm will probably try to wriggle out of any claim by saying the manufacturers recomended maintenance hasn't been followed, so make sure that the rest of the bike look tidy & well maintained before they get to see it.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Hopes Dad
Hopes Dad

Back to top Go down

Post by lanerboy Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:57 pm

cheers guys i will keep you posted hopefully either the dealer or ktm will do the right thing and help the guy out its the 4th bike he has had off the dealer he has had 3 new bikes and this one which had 6 hrs on the clock all off the same dealer lets hope they remember that

lanerboy

Back to top Go down

Post by captain caveman Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:14 pm

I,l refrain from the normal thing lol! But mite be worth mentioning trading standards to the dealer. you,d be surprised the effect these 2 little words have on some company's.

and then give them a call anyway see what they say.
captain caveman
captain caveman

Back to top Go down

Post by Walnutwhip Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 pm

You can never trust the mileage hours on a dirt bike claimed by anyone you have to check carefully for wear on componants.
As mentioned above no way this bike should be showing this level of wear and is the responsibilty of the seller regardless fo being a dirtbike to be fit for purpose!
Walnutwhip
Walnutwhip

Back to top Go down

Post by nate Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:47 pm

I would recommend the dealer first as at 15 hours this should not happen and there must be a sub standard part or fault which has caused this, the dealer will be able to see this for themselves and report back to UK and AUSTRIA if necessary.....i dont think it would need get to that stage to be honest as it seems like a staright forward local warranty claim given the LOW HOURS!

Be careful on the following areas though.....

1. hours need to relate to wear
2. The bike must have been serviced as per manufacturers guide lines
3. If there is any sign of negligence from the bike owner the claim would be invalid eg (if the bike has been run with no oil etc etc)

Further i would not be stripping it down to any major extent yourself as this could be a get out clause for any legitimate claim.

The court would deem fair wear and tear if the hours were HIGH but this doesnt seem the case ie WE HAVE A PART FAILURE in which case you have a strong claim.

Hope this helps

nate
nate
nate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down